Friday, July 18, 2008

Wake Up Call...

I woke today still feeling bad that I missed a good friend's birthday this year. Not only did I totally forget, but she was so forgiving AND thoughtfully surprised me with a belated birthday gift!


I sat there drinking my coffee this morning reflecting why this happened, "am I a bad friend?". I am not one to celebrate my birthday because of strange hang ups I have with my father leaving the family when I was just 13, but I realize I've become an insensitive person who really doesn't celebrate friend's birthdays either.

'Love others as well as you love yourself.' Jesus gave us this command in Mark 12:31 and as much as I thought I was following this command, I was not! Clearly this event proved it. I am not loving others AND I realize that I am not loving myself either. I NEED to start letting go and trust God when he says my sins are forgiven. I NEED to stop living in the hurtful past and step forth with faith & love. That way I can start loving myself & others.

So today I am thanking God for Valerie. Your gift was a lot more than a birthday gift, it was also a WAKE UP CALL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet friend. Everyone misses a birthday now and again, so don't beat yourself up too badly--but what a sweetie she is to send you a present when you missed her big day. Gotta love that.

Valerie said...

You are totally not a bad friend so, don't even think that!! Don't worry..I know what your getting for Xmas..a bday calendar!! I am glad you liked the gifts, especially the cup it totally reminds me of us and our friendship!! You are an awesome friend, and I LOVE our friendship!! Love you and a big hug..cannot wait for Thursday..scrapping the summer away ;)